Monday, January 24, 2011

The start of a quest

While Percy is enjoying a well deserved vacation in the sun, I will take you on a quest. I'm going to try to find the seven virtues in Oxford. Prudence, justice, temperance, fortitude, faith, hope and charity will all come along this week.

Today it's charity (or love) and I have to admit I have found this virtue in a rather unusual place. These two guide dogs are longing for your attention when you order some drinks at the bar in the Head of the River pub near Folly Bridge. If you take a closer look, you can see that there is a little slit in the head of the puppy. So if you like to support guide dogs for the blind, you are free to drop some of your change. I think it is a great way to show you care about this organisation. Apart from that the statue itself also shows us a great example of unlimited loving-kindness; a mother dog taking care of her puppy. I would say today's mission is accomplished; I have found charity in Oxford but where do you find this virtue in your home town?

No comments: